[This gallery is a selection of steel engravings by J. Le Keuk from Thomas D. Atkinson, Cambridge described and illustrated: being a short history of the Town and University (Macmillan, 1897). Scanned image and text by John van Wyhe. Click on each thumnbail for a larger image.]


Map of Cambridge in 1897.

View of Cambridge from
Castle Hill in 1841.

The market place.

Caius College in 1843.

The Gate of Honour, Caius College in 1841.

Christs College in 1839.

Clare College Quadrangle 1842.

Emmanuel College 1842.

The Fitzwilliam Museum.

Jesus College 1842.

The second court of St John's College 1842.

King's College Chapel in 1841.

Interior of Kings College Chapel 1841.

Old Court King's College 1831.

Great St Marys Church 1841.

Great St Marys Church interior 1841.

The New Bridge by St John's 1840 (also known as 'The Bridge of Sighs')

Pembroke College 1842.

Queens College second Court.

Queens College 1842.

Interior of the Hall,
Trinity College 1838.

The Victorian Web is a project funded by the University Scholars Program, National University of Singapore.


Victorian Web Homepage Visual Arts Architecture

Last modified 21 October 2002