This image may be used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose.
The Palace at Sydenham, designed by Sir Joseph Paxton, consists entirely of glass and iron. It was constructed mainly with the materials of the first great Industrial Exhibition of 1851, and was opened in 1854. It is composed of a spacious central hall or nave 1608 feet long, with lateral sections, two aisles, and two transepts. A third transept at the north end which formed a palm house, of imposing dimensions, was burned down in 1866. The cost of the whole undertaking, including the magnificent garden and grounds, and much additional land outside, amounted to a million and a half sterling.[text accompanying photograph]
The volume containing these images by an unidentified photographer bears the imprint "With H. and C. F. Feist's compliments" but no name, date, or place of publication, though the Feists were dealers in port wine, and Plate 30 demonstrates that the photograph must have been taken after 1902, and John R. Mendel offers evidence that it dates before mid-1906 [GPL].