The Old Town Hall
John Johnson (d. 1920)
Staines, Middlesex (now a part of Surrey)
An Associate of RIBA (the Royal Institute of British Architects), Johnson was praised in his obituary in the RIBA journal as "a rapid sketcher and excellent draughtsman" (Vol. 27, 1919/1920, p. 459). Amongst his other civic projects were the Anstice Working Men's Institute, Madeley, Shropshire (1870; see offsite here); and the considerably grander Bootle Town Hall (1882; see offsite here).
"[W]hat a town hall!" writes Chris Howkins. "Surely this is Surrey's finest ... built in 1880 with all its classical detailing picked out in white.... The detailing gives it dignity and a certain richness yet refrains from ostentation" (163-64). Another commentator describes it in more detail as "an ornate building of white brick and stone, diversified with painted ornamentation. It has two storeys, surmounted by a steeply pitched roof behind a parapet and a central clock-tower flanked by small corner towers" (Reynolds).