University College London, the Wilkins Portico

Looking towards the Slade School of Fine Art in the North Wing, University College, London The main building, by William Wilkins, in partnership with J.P. Gandy-Deering, was completed in 1827. Reginald Turnor describes it as "half-brother to the National Gallery" (32). The dome had to be recast by T.L. Donaldson in 1848. Photograph and text by Jacqueline Banerjee.

Sources

Turnor, Reginald. Nineteenth Century Architecture. London: Batsford, 1950.

Weinreb, Ben, and Christopher Hibbert, eds. The London Encyclopedia. London: Macmillan, 1992.


Victorian Web Homepage Visual Arts Victorian Architecture Victorian London Architecture The University of London

Last modified 5 February 2007