One of the winged Victories in the south side spandrels. 1828. Photograph 2006 Jacqueline Banerjee. Image may be used freely without prior written permission for any educational or scholarly use. GPL]
"John Nash designed the Marble Arch, like much else of elegance in London. It was built in 1828 as the chief entrance to Buckingham Palace, but when the Palace was extended in 1851, the Arch was moved to its current site as an entrance to Hyde Park. By tradition, only senior members of the royal family, the King's Troop and the Royal Horse Artillery are allowed to ride or drive through the Arch." — Ukattraction.com
- Marble Arch seen from Oxford Street
- Marble Archfrom the south (Hyde Park) side
- Marble Arch, south side (another view)
- Wreaths at the ends of Marble Arch, possibly by Flaxman
- Winged Victories, south side spandrels
- St. George Slaying the Dragon (on the metal gates of Marble Arch), by Samuel Parker
- Bearded head forming arch keystone
- Westmacott's England, Ireland and Scotland (north side of Marble Arch)
- Baily's Naval Warrior with Justice
- Baily's Pleace and Plenty
"Marble Arch," Ukattraction.com. 24 August 2006.
Peel, Bob. "A Sculpture Walk in Hyde Park." 24 August 2006.
"Marble Arch," Wikipedia.com. 24 August 2006.
Last modified 4 August 2007