Weston Manor in Weston-on-the-Green, near Oxford (front with formal gardens).
Weston Manor, which dates back to the eleventh century, has the site of the bailiffs court for the Abbott of Osney, home of the Earls of Abingdon and Berksire, and now a hotel. According to its website, "The present Baronial Hall was the bailiffs court for the Abbott of Osney who owned the house before the dissolution of the monasteries by King Henry V111 in the 16th century. Subsequently the great land owning families, the Earls of Abingdon and Berkshire — the "Norreys and Berties" resided at Weston Manor until the death of the last heir during the great war in 1917. Renovated during the twenties and thirties by several families, Weston Manor was occupied during the second world war when it was used by the BBC as a dormitory for their staff. The building was converted into a hotel in the late 1940's, and bought by its present owners, the Osborn family in 1983."
Photograph by George P. Landow Spring 1974. [Image may be freely used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose.]
Other views of Weston Manor
- Approaching Weston Manor over a wooden bridge
- Rear view from back garden
- Hedges and law behind the manor
Last modified 10 January 2006