1title1

“Mansfield College is situated W. of Mansfield-road, a new thoroughfare running S. from South Parks-road; and connecting with Holywell-street. It was founded here in October, 1886, by the Trustees and Council of Spring Hill College, Birmingham, who resolved to transfer the college to Oxford, giving it the name of the family by whom it was originally endowed. It has been erected by the Congregational Churches for the study of theology, primarily with a view to the education of their own ministry, and also as a centre of evangelical teaching and influence for all members of the University. It is not a college in the ordinary Oxford sense of the word, as its students are only men who have already graduated. Its professorial and tutorial staff are limited to the province of theology, and its chapel pulpit is open to representative preachers of all the Evangelical Free Churches. The opening ceremonies took place on October 14 to 16, 1889” (Alden 121)

Victorian and modern photographs

Images of Mansfield College in art

References

Alden, Edward C. Alden's Oxford Guide. Oxford: Alden & Co, 1903. Internet Archive version of a copy in the University of California Library. 6 October 2012.


Victorian Web Homepage Victorian Architecture Oxford

Last modified 3 October 2012