Works illustrated in the Victorian Web
- Nos. 1-7 Park Village West (c. 1832)
- Christ Church, Albany Street, W1, later remodelled inside by William Butterfield; now St George's Greek Orthodox Cathedral (1837).
- The Public Record Office, Chancery Lane, now the Maughan Library, King's College, London (1851-70) — Tyack calls this "massive and austere."
- 6, Burlington Gardens, formerly the University of London
- The west wing of Somerset House, bordering on Lancaster Place at the north end of Waterloo Bridge (1852-6)
- Ballroom and supper room, Buckingham Palace (1852-6)
- Entrance to the Royal Academy School (1867-70)
- Stable block at Claremont, the only addition Queen Victoria made to her uncle Leopold's estate in Esher, Surrey (the block is now used for other purposes, as part of Claremont Fancourt School)
Works with no illustrations in the Victorian Web
- New offices for the Duchy of Cornwall at Buckingham Gate (1854-7) — which Turnor describes as "orderly and decent and well-detailed" (38)
- Remodelling of Marlborough House interior, chiefly to enlarge the main rooms (this is now the Commonwealth Secretariat. Take a virtual tour outside the Victorian Web, and click on the history of the building to see Pennethorne's contributions. He also built a new stable block there (1860-3)
Halliday, Stephen. Making of the Metropolis: Creators of Victoria's London. Derby: Breedon, 2003.
Lewis, David. Walks Through History: Liverpool. Derby: Breedon, 2007.
Turnor, Reginald. Nineteenth Century Architecture in Britain. London: Batsford, 1950.
Tyack, Geoffrey. "Sir James Pennethorne (1801-1871)." The Oxford Dictionary of National Biography. Online ed. Viewed 27 Nov. 2007.
Weinreb, Ben and Christopher Hibbert, eds. The London Encyclopaedia. London: Macmillan, rev. ed. 1992.
White, Jerry. London in the Nineteenth Century: "A Human Awful Wonder of God." London: Cape, 2007.
Last modified 3 August 2011