Edwin Seward (1853-1924)
1896, completed 1898
Between St Mary Street and The Hayes, Cardiff
Cardiff prides itself on its series of Victorian and Edwardian shopping arcades. Two of the most splendid are the interlinked Royal and Morgan Arcades, the Royal Arcade having been the first fruit of the Cardiff Arcade Co, established in 1858 for the specific purpose of linking The Hayes and St Mary Street. It was Cardiff’s first indoor shopping arcade.
Caption and commentary by Jacqueline Banerjee.