designed by Mackay Hugh Baillie-Scott, 1865-1945. 1897. Oak and ivory with marquetry decoration inlaid with ivory and mother-of-pearl. Height 51 inches; width 56 1/2 inches; 17 1/2 depth inches. Manufactured by John Broadwood and Sons (serial no. 89409). Provenance: Ernest Harris, who reputedly purchased the paino at a Glasgow exhibition, c. 1905-6, and by descent to his daughter Mrs. Harries.
In 1896 while preparing designs for this piano, Baillie-Scott wrote and illustrated an article, "An Artist's House," for The Studio. The illustration for the artist's studio shows a "Manxman" piano with similar decoration, in which the motif of birds flanking a flowering tree is clearly discernible in the decorative lozenge on the cabinet door, while the lower part of the case was made of alternating planks of light and dark wood.
Baillie Scott, Mackay Hugh. "An Artist's House." The Studio 9 (1896): 28-37.
Spring '84. Exhibition catalogue. London: Fine Art Society, 1984. No. 39c.
The Fine Art Society, London, has most generously given its permission to use information, images, and text from its catalogues in the Victorian Web. This generosity has led to the creation of hundreds and hundreds of the site's most valuable documents on painting, drawing, sculpture, furniture, textiles, ceramics, glass, metalwork, and the people who created them. The copyright on text and images from their catalogues remains, of course, with the Fine Art Society. [GPL]
Last modified 6 November 2004