Chairs Designed for the House of Lords by A. W. N. Pugin and manufactured by either Gillow & Co. or Holland & Sons. c. 1850. Oak, leather, & brass. The upholstery is modern. Photographs 2018 George P. Landow. Courtesy the Victoria & Albert Museum. Lent by the Palace of Westminster no. 2-2001. Click on images to enlarge them.
The chair sits on floor tiles from the House of Commons (1847-01850), which the museum label explains “were the earliest extensive series of tile floors made in the 19th century.” They were manufactured by Minton & Co., Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire. (Museum no. C1-1985). Behind the chair appears a roller blind (Museum no. T15-1980), which dates from around 1847, and “is one of the few surviving textiles from the original decorative scheme at Westminster. It may have been used in service areas in the House of Lords.” It was printed by Thomas Clarkson of Bannister Hall, Lancashire, fror Frederick Crace & Son.
Created 1 April 2018