- In stagnant blackness they waited through an interval which seemed endless
- Clare came down from the landing above in his shirt-sleeves, and put his arms across the stair-way
- As he passed them he kissed them in succession where they stood, saying 'Good-bye' to each as he did so
- 'I don't know about ghosts,' she was saying
- His father and mother were both in the drawing room
- He laid his hand on her shoulder, 'Tess, Tess, I was on the way to deliverance till I saw you again,' he said.
- You be the woman they call Mrs. Durbeyfield, I reckon?' he said to Tess's mother, who had remounted.
- Something seemed to move on the verge of the dip eastward
Last modified 5 December 2000