The War Memorial Window at St Chad's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Birmingham
John Hardman & Co
Dedicated on Armistice Day, 1921; restored 2000
This window in the south aisle of the cathedral "depicts the Holy Trinity and honours the men of the cathedral parish who were killed in the First World War. Panels at the bottom of the window show a priest offering Mass for the souls of the departed. The server is a likeness of a Cathedral altar boy who was killed at the Front" (Doolan 7) — the latter, a particularly poignant touch.
The colours used for the figures are mainly blue and white, making the window altogether quieter in feel than the brilliant Flanagan window beside it, and the denser Pugin windows elsewhere. There are just a few splashes of crimson, for example on the angels, with the border ornamentation and structural elements picked out in yellow. One commentator suggests that the window shows the influence of another prolific stained glass designer, Charles Eamer Kempe (1837-1907; see Foster 52). Perhaps this is mostly because of its lightness and coolness of colour, and translucence. [Commentary continues below, with a closer view of the lower panel. Click on both images to enlarge them.]
Photographs and text by Jacqueline Banerjee. The photographs are reproduced here by kind permission of the Dean & Chapter.