The Bernard Quaritch shop is still in business, specialising now in antiquarian books at the upper end of the market - a successor perhaps to Bertram Dobell. Its founder came to London from Germany in 1842 with a letter of introduction to a fellow-countryman, Henry Bohn, who was then (we are told) the leading bookseller in London. In 1847 Quaritch opened his own shop. FitzGerald was a patron from the beginning. QuaritchÕs descendants are still on the board, the shop however has moved from Leicester Square to Golden Square (originally Gelding Square; stallions were gelded in its open space at one time) on the edge of Soho.

Related Material


Victorianism Overview Victorian History Victorian Economics

Last modified 16 February 2008