Map of Rotherhithe, Surrey
In 1838 Rotherhithe was still virtually an island, having two swing-bridges connecting it to the rest of Bermondsey/ Southwark. 95% of the industry in Rotherhithe was shipbuilding and breaking, and trades directly allied to this. It was (and still remains) a secular, almost independent part of Southwark. Up to this time (1838) it had been a wealthy area with much open space and garden meadows, the occupied areas being only along the riverfront. — Eunice Shanahan
This image and caption provides background material for a letter of John Bing, London, to Joseph Allington, Yoxall, 1838, that Eunice and Ron Shanahan have graciously shared with the Victorian Web from their website.
Last modified 25 October 2005