Grand Piano

Grand Piano by Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones, Bt ARA (1833-1898). Oak, stained and decorated with gold and silver gesso. Decorated by Kate Faulkner. Manufactured by John Broadwod & Sons. Collection of the Victoria & Albert Museum, London [acquisition no. W.23-1927. Given by Mrs. A. C. Ionides].

According to the V&A label, "Burne-Jones based the design on the case and stand of a harpsichord. His piano formed part of the lavish refurbishment of 1 Holland Park commissioned by Alexander Ionides, brother of C. A. Ionides. The house was decorated by Morris & Co., the firm established by William Morris, and became a showpiece of advanced artistic taste."

Related Material and Other Views

References

Morris and Company. London: The Fine Art Society, 1979. No. 26.


Victorian Web Homepage Visual Arts Burne-Jones Next

Last modified 8 September 2009