Mrs McEwen of Marchmont

Mary Frances Dundas (1864–1944) was the daughter of Henry Robert Duncan Dundas of Dundas and Catherine Anne Carrington Napier, the daughter of Robert Cornelis Napier, 1st Baron Napier of Magdala. Napier had served on the North West Frontier, during the Indian Mutiny and in the daring rescue of British Diplomats in Abyssinia. He ended his career as Commander-in-Chief in India.

Henry Robert Duncan Dundas of Dundas, her father, was the then current representative of one of the oldest Scottish clans, dating back to the 12th century. Like the Napiers, his family had served the British Empire in India in the late 18th and 19th centuries. Their family seat at the time of Mary Frances’s marriage was Dundas Castle at South Queensferry. Their town house, Dundas House, a Palladian Villa in St Andrew’s Square, Edinburgh, is now the headquarters of the Royal Bank of Scotland.

Related Material: Monuments to members of the Napier Family who served in India

References

McConkey, Kenneth. Lavery and the Glasgow Boys. Exhibition Catalogue. Clandeboye, County Down: The Ava Gallery; Edinburgh: Bourne Fine Art; London: The Fine Art Society, 2010. No. 23.


Victorian Web Homepage Visual Arts Sculpture

Last modified 4 October 2011