Andrew Churchill and Tamsin Williams of the Watts Gallery, write with the welcome news that "the 3rd Watts Symposium will take place on 26 and 27 February 2009 at Guildhall, London and St Paul's Cathedral.
"2009 will be a monumental year for George Frederic Watts and Watts Gallery, with two major exhibitions of the artist's work being held at both high profile London venues. The Symposium will form part of the Watts in The City of London programme of events, launching this autumn. The 2-day symposium will explore the life and work of G. F. Watts within the context of the Victorian age, taking into consideration the artistic, literary and spiritual movements influential at the time."
Speakers confirmed to date include:
- Dr Caroline Arscott, Senior Lecturer in Nineteenth-Century British Art, Courtauld Institute of Art
- Mark Bills, Curator, Watts Gallery
- Barbara Bryant, Consultant Curator and Co-Author GF Watts Victorian Visionary (Guildhall 2008-2009) and Author of GF Watts: Portraits — Fame & Beauty in Victorian Society (NPG 2004-2005)
- James Dewar, Administrator, Lincoln's Inn
- Veronica Franklin Gould, Author of G. F. Watts: The Last Great Victorian (Yale University Press, 2004) and Curator of The Vision of G. F. Watts (Watts Gallery, 2004)
- Professor Sir Christopher Frayling, Vice-Provost and Rector, Royal College of Art, Chairman, Arts Council of England
- Leonée Ormond, Professor Emerita, King's College, London
- John Price, Historian, King's College, London
- David Stewart, Art Historian, UA Huntsville
- Hilary Underwood, Tutor in the History of Art, University of Surrey and Curatorial Advisor, Watts Gallery
- Martin Warner, Treasurer, St Paul's Cathedral
For further information, and to register your interest, visit the Watts Gallery website.
Last modified 4 July 2008