Symbolic Realism in Browning, The Pre-Raphaelites, Hopkins — Outline for Lecture of 18 March 1998
George P. Landow, Professor of English and Art History, Brown University
Symbolic Realism, the Bible, Ruskin, Browning and the Pre-Raphaelites
- Robert Browning's Use of Biblical Typology in "The Bishop Orders His Tomb"
- Pre-Raphaelites: An Introduction
- [A more detailed study: John Russkin, the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhod, and Symbolic Realism]
- Aesthetic Pre-Raphaelitism
- Pre-Raphaelitism in Poetry
Dante Gabriel Rossetti
- Symbolism and Imagery in Dante Gabriel Rossetti's Poetry
- David H. Riede on "The Woodspurge"
- David H. Riede on Rossetti's themes
Gerard Manley Hopkins
- Allusion to the Bible, Imagery, and Structure in Hopkins's Poetry
- "God's Grandeur" (text of poem)
- A Reading of Hopkins's "The Windhover"
Incorporated in the Victorian Web July 2000/div>