St. George's Hall, Liverpool. Now again Justice is being divested of her earthly dress, The figure on the right is Glory, holding a "flaming heart, symbol of divine love" (Cavanagh 257).. Thomas Stirling Lee (1857-1916). 1882-1901. Istrian stone.
The remainder of the Progress of Justice series on Saint George's Hall
- Justice as a child of the poor, led by Understanding into the way of Wisdom. Joy following. . .
- Justice in her purity refuses to be diverted from the straight path by Riches and Fame
- Justice, having attained maturity, upholds the world, supported by Knowledge and Right
- Justice, able to stand alone, administers by the Sword
- Justice, relieved of her sword by Virtue, and of her scales by Concord
Photographs by Robert Freidus. Text by Freidus and Jacqueline Banerjee. Perspective correction, formatting, and linking by George P. Landow. [You may use these images without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose as long as you (1) credit the photographer and (2) link your document to this URL in a web document or cite it in a print one.]
Cavanagh, Terry. The Public Sculpture of Liverpool. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 1996.
Last modified 21 April 2011