The Wood Nymph
Frederick William Pomeroy (1857-1924)
Lady Lever Art Gallery, Port Sunlight, Wirral, Merseyside
Her hand still raised, Pomeroy's beautifully poised life-size nymph is shown watching the course of the arrow just shot from her bow. Lord Lever, at whose expense this gallery was built, was passionate both about building and art collecting; amongst his close friends were the sculptors Edward Onslow Ford and William Goscombe John, so his sculpture collection naturally focussed on the New Sculpture, "with its new freedom and variety of precarious and evocative poses facilitated by the use of bronze rather than marble" — this wood nymph provides a good example of the "new and expressive poetry" found in such work, with its "much wider range of imaginative and meaningful subjects in place of the old classical platitudes" (Morris 144-5).
Photograph, caption, and commentary by Jacqueline Banerjee, 2009.
[With thanks to the Lady Lever Art Gallery for allowing photography]