Diamond Jubilee Memorial
Francis John Williamson (1833-1920)
Marble and Bronze
Photograph 2006 by Jacqueline Banerjee
This photograph may be used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose.
This Diamond Jubilee Memorial, which takes the form of a statue of Britannia with a plaque of Victoria on the base, is just outside Williamson's home and studio, Grapes House. Unfortunately, it now overlooks a very busy traffic junction. In front of it stands a stone drinking fountain given to the parish by Queen Victoria, when water from the nearby iron pump (isolated on the next traffic island) was declared unfit to drink.