Vintners' Hall. Rebuilt 1671 by Roger Jarman (Master Craftsman). Upper Thames Street, London EC4. The Vintners were one of the twelve great City of London livery companies, and had "extensive powers" over the wine trade (Weinreb et al. 185). Their Thames frontage was convenient for their involvement with wine imports, and they still have some special rights, amongst them, shared ownership (with the Crown and the Dyers) of the swans on the Thames. The building has a grand drawing room dating from the late nineteenth century. Photograph and caption by Jacqueline Banerjee, 2009.
Weinreb, Ben, et al. The London Encyclopaedia. 3rd ed. London: Macmillan, 2008.
Last modified 11 August 2009