1888 (to commemorate Queen Victoria's 1887 Golden Jubilee); restored 2002
According to Bob Spreel's site, the tower is made "of pink granite and limestone, with corroded limestone figures at each corner, and medallion mosaics of Victoria, Albert and the Prince and Princess of Wales." The orb mechanism, which rises to mark the hour, was by Marcus Volk. The tower is strategically placed at a crossroads halfway down the road which runs from the station to the seafront.
Photograph and text by Jacqueline Banerjee 2006.
This image may be used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose.