The Crown Bar

Great Victoria Street, Belfast, Northern Ireland

1849; interior 1885

A venerable Belfast landmark that has withstood urban redevelopment and IRA bombings, The Crown Bar retains its private Victorian booths ("snugs") and smoky atmosphere. The pub's opening followed Ireland's second railway line in 1839, linking Belfast and Lisburn to the south. During the 1870s, the publican was Michael Flannigan, who, in 1885, decided to replace the old interior with the glorious wood-pannelled version we see now. Note the Victorian embossed metal ceiling and the carvings below.

Other Views

  • Front three-quarter view
  • Façade and Entrance
  • Interior
  • Ceramic Façade (2) Photograph by Philip V. Allingham 2006.

    This image may be used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose.