Illustrated London News. Scanned image and text by Philip V. Allingham. [This image may be used without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose.]. 1852.
Our Engraving of the Goods-shed shows at one end the canal under the centre of the platform: the boats can thus come into the shed and have goods of all kinds passed to or from the railway trucks as the case may be. The canal enters the Thames at Limehouse, and a branch line of the rail is in course of construction to join the East line, so as, without any transhipment, to carry goods to the ships. 
Barges are visible in the foreground below the level of the platform, and a dozen hoists line the walls. Since horses apparently provide power for the hoists, the steam arising in the background must be from a locomotive attached to some railway trucks. although the building has a glass ceiling, the grime on the panels probably explains the dozen lanterns high on the walls.
Illustrated London News. (28 May 1853): 428
Last modified 4 October 2006