The Ring, Casterbridge, on the Budmouth
Road (Maumbury Rings, Dorchester)

The Ring, Casterbridge, on the Budmouth Road (Maumbury Rings, Dorchester). Photograph courtesy of John Gould, Phillips Academy, Andover. 2002.

The Maumbury Rings [otherwise known as "The Ring"), south Dorchester, built in the Stone Age as a sacred circle; the Romans converted it into an amphitheatre for gladiatorial games. Hardy's description of it in The Mayor of Casterbridge as a suitable place for clandestine meetings he augments with supernatural visitations of Roman legionaries watching Roman blood-sports. Here is 1685 Judge Jeffreys condemned the Monmouthshire Rebels to death [Philip V. Allingham].

References

Daiches, David, and John Flower. Literary Landscapes of the British Isles: A Narrative Atlas. Harmondsworth: Penguin, 1981.

Kay-Robinson, Denys. The Landscape of Thomas Hardy, photographs by Simon McBride. Exeter: Webb and Bower, 1984.

Hardy, Thomas. The Mayor of Casterbridge. An Authoritative Texts, Backgrounds, Criticism. Ed. James K. Robinson. London & New York: W. W. Norton, 1977.

Lefebure, Molly. Thomas Hardy's World. London: Carlton, 1996.

The Oxford Illustrated Literary Guide to Great Britain and Ireland, ed. Dorothy Eagle and Hilary Carnell. New York: Oxford University Press, 1981.

Pinion, F. B. A Hardy Companion. New York and London: Macmillan, St. Martin's Press, 1968.

Seymour-Smith, Martin. Hardy. London: Bloomsbury, 1994.


Victorian Web Thomas Hardy Gallery Next

Last modified 24 August 2002