Born in Melbourne, Australia, the son of a Scottish architectural sculptor. First studied under his father, then at Melbourne School of Art. Arrived London 1882, entered R.A. Schools, but soon left for Paris. First exhibited at R.A., 1886. 1889-92 in Australia, having won competition for decoration of Government House, Victoria, 1893. Circe received honourable mention at Paris Salon. Much influenced by French Academic manner, then by Rodin's later style.
Works include: Memorial Tomb for Edward VII, St. Georges' Chapel, Windsor (joint commission with Sir Edwin Lutyens as architect); National Memorial to Gainsborough, Sudbury, Suffolk. Designed George V coinage.
A.R.A. 1909, K.C.V.O. 1921, R.A. 1922. [British Sculpture 1850-1914, p. 28.]
Bertram Mackennal by Abbey Altson. Art Gallery of New South Wales Accessioned 2004.
Biographical and Related Materials Materials
Monuments and public sculpture
- Edward VII (London)
- Edward VII (Calcutta, India)
- Maquette for Queen Victoria Jubilee Statue
- Lord Curzon of Kedleston
- Paul's Cross
- Figure of “Glory” for Islington War Memorial
- Phoebus and the Horses of the Sun
- Sir William Howard Russell, LLD Memorial
Nudes and figure studies, including one with allegorical, literary, and religious titles
- "For she sitteth on a seat in the high places of the city"
- The Dancer (I)
- The Dancer (II)
- The Truth-Seeker
- Earth and the Elements
- Monument to Monument to George Nathaniel, Earl Curzon of Kedleston and Lady Curzon
- Monument to Major Augustine Carter, V.C.
- Sir Peter Nicol Russell Monument
- Mercantile Marine WWI Medal
- Royal Society of Arts Medal (George V)
- George V and Queen Mary Coronation medal
- Stockholm Summer Olympics Medal (reverse)
Beattie, Susan. The New Sculpture. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1983. Pl. 174.
British Sculpture 1850-1914. A loan exhibition of sculpture and medals sponsored by The Victorian Society. London: Fine Art Society, 1968.
Edwards, Deborah. Bertram Mackennal. Sydney: Art Gallery of New South Wales, 2007. This catalogue raisonné, which contains 150 color plates and an equal number of black-and-white illustrations, also comes with a CD-ROM. [Additional information, including how to order it.]
Important Arts and Crafts Furniture and Works of Art, English, Foreign and European Bronzes I 830- I 930. Sale catalogue of 18 May 1975. London: Sotheby's Belgravia, 1975.
Last modified 30 July 2014