Paulin, who was born in Muckart, Clackmannanshire, the son of the minister of Muckart Parish Church, received his education at at Dollar Academy, after which he “studied sculpture under Percy Portsmouth at ECA, winning a travelling scholarship which enabled him to study in Paris, Rome, Naples and Florence, where he set up a studio, 1912-16. He worked in Glasgow, 1917-25, producing portrait busts, genre pieces and the war memorials at Kirkudbright (1920); Dollar Academy (1920); Denny (1921); Rutherglen (1924); Milngavie (1924) and the 51st Division Memorial, Beaumont Hamel (1924). . . . In 1925 he moved to London where he executed the statue of Pavlova in the London Garden of Remembrance (c. 1932). An active member of the Glasgow Art Club, he exhibited at RSA , 1909-63, RGIFA, 1915-59. He died at Watchfield, Swindon.” — Mapping Sculpture
McKenzie, Ray, with contributions by Gary Nisbet. Public Sculpture of Glasgow. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2002.
“George Henry Paulin ARSA.” Mapping the Practice and Profession of Sculpture in Britain and Ireland, 1851-1951. Web. 5 May 2011.
Last modified 6 May 2011