Pump wagon in Lauriston Yard, Edinburgh, 1824. The p[ump wagon was designed either to be horse-drawn or to be pulled by a team of four firemen manning a pole attached to the fore-carriage. Drag ropes were used to control the engines when manhandling the machines downhill. Photograph © Scottish Fire and Rescue Service. Thanks to George Robinson for obtaining the image and permission to include it in the Victorian Web, [Click on image to enlarge it.]


Victorian Web Overview Victorian Edinburgh Victorian Technology

Last modified 20 March 2014