The brigade’s first steam-pumped, horse-drawn fire engine was introduced in 1873. In 1886 a manual engine equipped with a fire escape or hose ladder was introduced. Designed by the firemaster, the engine was built by the brigade’s craftsmen. The firemen were also issued with brass helmets and dark blue frock coats.
As Edinburgh was expanding rapidly, fire stations designed by Robert Morham, the city architect, were built in various parts of the city during the 1880s. A fire station was built in Ramsay Lane, Portobello in 1898 as the town had now amalgamated with the City of Edinburgh. The brigade moved to new headquarters designed by Robert Morham at Lauriston Place in 1900.
Two public telephone boxes were set up in 1895 at Albert Street and Rosebank Place. The box at Rosebank Place was closed in 1899 and a box placed in Kew Terrace, Coltbridge.
- Richard C. Williams 1872-1876
- Samuel B. Wilkins 1876-1895
- Arthur Pordage O.B.E. 1896-1927
- High Street 1824
- Fountainbridge 1824
- Rose Street 1824
- Teviot Place 1824
- St. Leonard’s Street (construction date not known. Mentioned in the press in 1873)
- West Port 1884 (closed 1899)
- Causwayside 1885
- Torphichen Street 1885
- London Road 1885
- Hamilton Place 1885
- St. James’ Place 1885
- Boroughmuirhead 1885
- Tynecastle 1885 (closed 1890)
- Canongate ( construction date not known)
- Slateford Road 1890 (date on present building states 1894)
- Portobello 1899
- Canaan Lane 1899
- Bruntsfield Place 1899
- Lauriston Place 1900
Major fires during the period
During this period the brigade had to deal with fires at the Theatre Royal, the North Berwick Marine Hotel, the City Paper Works, Nelson’s printing works and Jenner’s department store in Princes Street.
Last modified 20 March 2014