(Former) Royal Indian Engineering College, Cooper's Hill, Surrey. The original building was substantially extended by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt, as architect to the Indian Government: he added the south wing and the chapel in 1870-71, exhibiting the design at the Royal Academy in 1872 (Robinson 251). the Illustrated London News gave an illustration of college, reporting on its setting, literary associations and historical background, before describing this new development as follows:

The mansion of Cooper's Hill, three miles from Egham, in Surrey, ... after passing through various hands during the last forty years, ... was purchased by the Indian Government last year. Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt was employed as architect to fit it for its present use. By judicious alterations and additions to the existing mansion, and by the erection of an entirely new block, the buildings have been converted into a handsome college, with present accommodation for one hundred students. ["The Indian Engineers' College," 502]

The college was in use for its original purpose until the early twentieth century, and was used for various purposes, including, later, as a part of Brunel University. It is now being converted into a retirement village.

Image downloaded from the article (facing p. 498), and lightened for clarity, by Jacqueline Banerjee, who also added the comments above. The image is in the public domain, but it would be good to credit the Victorian Web and the Hathi Trust if you reproduce it. [Click on the image to enlarge it.]


"The Evolution of Cooper's Hill." website">Exploring Surrey's Past. Web. 28 July 2019.

"The Indian Engineeers' College." Illustrated London News. Vol. 59 (July-December 1871). Hathi Trust. Contributed by the University of California. Web 28 July 2019.

Robinson, John Martin. The Wyatts: An Architectural Dynasty. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1979.

Created 28 July 2019