The Three Magi
Clayton & Bell
The right-hand light of a three-light window in the south wall of St Michael's, Cornhill.
William Waters writes in his caption, "From 1857-1869 St Michael, a Wren style church, was restored and redecorated by Gilbert Scott. It was favourably received by the Ecclesiologists who marked out Clayton's windows for special praise. They were his most Pre-Raphaelite set of windows in their graphic portrayal of the scenes of Christ's nativity and passion." Waters adds that the circular window here, of Christ in Glory, is a masterpiece of modernised medievalism" (104). The window shown on the left here makes a particularly striking contrast with the treatment of the same subject in The Three Magi at St Mary's, Lapworth, Warwickshire.
Photograph by Alastair Carew-Cox in Waters 105, reproduced here by kind permission. Text added, and formatting, by Jacqueline Banerjee. [Click on the image for a larger picture.]