Seaforth House, Simonstown

Seaforth House, Simonstown. Edward Duncan RWS. 1836, Oil on canvas, 24.5 x 34.25 inches (62.2 x 87 cm) signed and dated “E Duncan 1836,” lower right. Click on image to enlarge it.

“Captain Thomas Talbot Harrington, of the East India Company, was born in Wiltshire in 1780, and moved to the Cape in 1814 and built a house which he named after his wife's (Jemima Douglas 1784-1820) uncle, the Earl of Seaforth. The house was subsequently dismantled after his departure for Calcutta in 1819.” — Fine Art Society website.

The Fine Art Society, London, has most generously given its permission to use information, images, and text from its catalogues. The copyright on text and images from their catalogues remains, of course, with the Fine Art Society. — George P. Landow

Created 23 December 2017