Want to know how to navigate the Victorian Web? Click here.
- The Cornhill Magazine: a brief introduction by R. G. Cox
- The Cornhill Magazine, George Smith and illustrators of ‘The Sixties’
- The Cornhill Magazine — Fees for Writers in 1860
- Godfrey Sykes and the front cover of The Cornhill Magazine
- W. M. Thackeray (founding editor)
- Henry James on the Importance of the Cornhill Magazine
- "Elizabeth Barrett Browning" (1874 article)
- "On the Side of the Maids" (1874 article)
- "On the Side of the Mistresses" (1874 article)
- The Cornhill, Great Expectations, and The Convict System
Authors who published in The Cornhill
- ELizabeth Gaskell (Wives and Daughters)
- Thomas Hardy (Far from the Madding Crowd and The Hand of Ethelberta)
- George Meredith (Harry Richmond )
- John Ruskin (Unto This Last)
- Alfred Tennyson ("Tithonus")
- Anthony Trollope (Framley Parsonage)
Cox, R. G. "The Reviews and Magazines" in The New Pelican Guide to English Literature 6. From Dickens to Hardy, 1996.
Eddy, Spencer L., Jr. The Founding of "The Cornhill Magazine". Ball State Monograph No. 19. Muncie, Indiana: Ball State University, 1970.
Last modified 16 May 2020