Gatehouse, Queens College, University of Cambridge. c. 1870. Albumen photograph, approximately 6 x 8 inches. [Click on photograph to enlarge it.] This is one of 58 photographs of Cambridge University taken for a William Winfield c. 1870 and assembled in an album now in the possession of New Boston Fine and Rare Books, which Kimberly Blaker, President of the firm, has kindly shared with readers of the Victorian Web.

A Victorian History and Description of the College (1870)

Queens College— This was founded, in 1446, by Margaret of Anjou; and enlarged, in 1465, by the queen of Edward IV. Its grounds lie on both sides of the Cam and are connected by a rustic bridge, rebuilt in 1746. Its buildings comprise three ancient-looking courts with gateway, tower, and cloisters; and were reconstructed about 1833. The gateway is of noble design, perpendicular, with a lierne vault. The inner court has three alleys, each 80 feet long; and contains the room of Erasmus. The hall has a fine open roof; the library about 30,000 volumes; and the chapel, four brasses.

The college has 14 fellowships, 14 scholarships, 10 livings and an income of £5,347. Eminent men educated at it were Erasmus, Bishops Fisher and Patrick, the antiquary Wallis, the poets Beaumont and Pomfret, T. Fuller, S Ockley, Milner, Weever, Rymer, Shaw, and Manning. — John M. Wilson

Related Material — other pictures of Christ's College, Cambridge


Bound album of 58 original albumen photographs of Cambridge University. Oblong 4to, full gilt-stamped black morocco leather, bound cover has scuffing and is worn heavily at hinges. Four raised bands and gilt stamped borders. Detailed gilt stamped decor on interior cover edges. Blue silk endpapers in very good condition. E. G. Bookplate of Clifton Waller Barrett tipped in front end sheet. New Boston Fine and Rare Books.

Wilson, John M. (John Marius). The imperial gazetteer of England and Wales: embracing recent changes in counties, dioceses, parishes, and boroughs: general statistics: postal arrangements: railway systems, &c.; and forming a complete description of the country. 8 vols. Edinburgh: A. Fullarton, 1870.Internet Archive online version of a copy in the Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center. Web. 27 October 2022.

Created 21 October 2002

Last modified 29 October 2022