Biographical materials and criticism
- Mary Ellen Edwards and Illustration of the 1860s
- Edwards as an Illustrator of Fiction
- Mary Ellen Edwards — Her Style and Influence
- Edwards as an Illustrator of Trollope
- Mary Ellen Edwards as a book cover designer
William Gilbert's Ruth Thornbury; or the Old Maid's Story
- Then she awoke, and saw someone standing beside her
- Charity here placed the letter in Ruth's hand
- In his white bed-gown he knelt before Ruth
- [He] threw himself on his knees by her side
- They were . . .both looking remarkably sheepish and confused
- [Ruth and Mary arrange the library]
Anthony Trollope's The Claverings
- ‘A puir feckless thing’
- Illustrated initial letter “L”
- Harry’, she said, ‘There is nothing wrong between you and Florence?’
- Lady Ongar and Florence
- Husband and Wife
- Florence Burton makes up a packet
Charles Lever’s The Bramleighs of Bishop’s Folly
The Ordel for Wives
- The Dance of Death
- Diana Paget and Charlotte Halliday (from Braddon’s Birds of Prey)
- Mother's Last Words (for Mary Sewell's book of that title)
Periodicals and other works in which Edwards' illustrations appeared
The Argosy (1868).
Braddon, M.E. Birds of Prey. Belgravia 2 (June 1867). Co-illustrated by Braddon.
The Churchman’s Family Magazine (1863–64).
Good Words (1866).
The Graphic (1869–80).
Idyllic Pictures. London: Cassell, Petter, & Galpin, 1867. Co-illustrated by Edwards.
The Illustrated Times (1867).
Lever, Charles. The Bramleighs of Bishop’s Folly. London: Chapman & Hall, 1872. Illustrated by M. E. Edwards.
Once a Week (1865–68).
The Quiver (1864–68).The Sunday Magazine (1865).
Trollope, Anthony. The Claverings. The Cornhill Magazine 13–15 (1866–67).
[Anon] ‘The Claverings.’ London Review 14 (11 May 1867): p.547.
Cherry, Deborah. Victorian Woman Artists. London: Routledge, 1993.
Clayton, Ellen C. English Female Artists. 2 Vols. London: Tinsley, 1876.
Cooke, Simon. Illustrated Periodicals of the 1860s. London: British Library, 2010.
Engen, Rodney. Exhibition of Proof Wood Engravings at the Mendez Gallery. Stroud: Hodgkins, 1986.
Garrigan, Kristine Ottesen. ‘Women Artists.’ Victorian Britain: An Encyclopaedia. Ed. Sally Mitchell. Abingdon: Routledge, 2011. pp. 864 –66.
Gerrish Nunn, Pamela. Victorian Women Artists. London: The Women’s Press, 1987.
Hall, N. John. Trollope and His Illustrators. New York: St Martins Press, 1980.The Newcastle Guardian and Tyne Mercury. 8 August 1868. p. 7.
Reid, Forrest. Illustrators of the Eighteen Sixties. 1928; rpt. New York: Dover, 1975.
Trollope, Anthony. An Autobiography. 2 Vols. London: Blackwood, 1883.
White, Gleeson. English Illustration: The Sixties, 1855–70. 1897; rpt. Bath: Kingsmead, 1970.
Last modified 7 September 2014