- Introduction: Charlotte Elizabeth Tonna: "A Life by no means deficient in remarkable incidents"
- Charlotte Elizabeth Tonna's Personal Recollections
- Lewis Tonna's Memoir of Charlotte Elizabeth
Theme and subject
- Charlotte Elizabeth Tonna's Domestic Feminism as a Response to Child and Female Employment in Early Victorian England
- "Slaves of the Needle:" The Seamstress in the 1840s
Symbol, image, and motif
The Bible, the best book. N.Y. American Tract Society, [185-].
The Burying-ground. N.Y. American Tract Society, [185-].
Conformity. N.Y. M.W. Dodd, Brick Church Chapel, opposite the City Hall., 1842.
Izram, a Mexican Tale. N.Y. Scribner's, 1846.
Judah's Lion. 1843. London: Seeley, Burnside, and Seeley, 1847.
Letters from Ireland, MDCCCXXXVII. N.Y.: J. D. Taylor, 1843.
The Newfoundland fisherman: a true story. N.Y. American Tract Society, [18--].
Personal Recollections. 1841. London: R. B. Seeley & W. Burnside, 1841.
Posthumous and other poems. N.Y. M.W. Dodd, 1847.
The Perils of the Nation: An Appeal to the Legislature, The Clergy, and the Higher and Middle Classes. 1843. London: Seeley, Burnside and Seeley, 1843.
Ridley, Latimer, Cranmer, and other English martyrs. By Charlotte Elizabeth, [pseud] Selected from [Foxe's] "English martyrology;" for the use of Sabbath schools. N.Y.: J. D. Taylor, 1844.
The system: a tale of the West Indies. London: Frederick Westley, and A.H. Davis, 1827.
Themes and Contexts
- Tonna’s Domestic Feminism as a Response to Child and Female Labor
- Discusses the plight of semstresses in The Perils of the Nation and The Wrongs of Woman
- Use of Biblical Typology in Her Verse
Fryckstedt, Monica Correa. "Charlotte Elizabeth Tonna: A Forgotten Evangelical Writer." Studia Neophilologica 53 (1980): 79-102.
hristine Krueger. The Reader's Repentance: Women Preachers, Women Writers, and Nineteenth-Century Social Discourse. Chicago and London: The University of Chicago Press, 1992.
Loomer, L.S. "Charlotte Elizabeth (Browne) Phelan (1790-1846)." Canadian Notes and Queries (Nov. 1974): 9-11.
Tonna, L. H. J. Life of Charlotte Elizabeth and A Memoir. 1847. New York, NY: M. W. Dodd, 1852.
Last modified 21 August 2010