Study of a Robed Man for The Pilgrim in the embroidery 'The Romance of the Rose'
Sir Edward Coley Burne-Jones, Bt ARA (1833-1898)
Black chalk on white paper
8 5/8 x 6 1/8 inches, 21.9 x 15.6 cm
Provenance: John Bryson, Oxford
Burne-Jones first illustrated Chaucer's Romance of the Rose in 1874 when he prepared a series of embroidery designs to be carried out by Margaret Lowthian Bell and her daughter. These were for the dining room of their new Philip Webb House, Rounton Grange. The embroideries are now in the William Morris Gallery, Walthamstow. At the same time the artist made a series of large very fine pencil versions of the compositions. Many of these were turned into oil paintings in the 1880s and 1890s including 'Love Leading the Pilgrim' (dated 1896-7, Tate Gallery) .'The Pilgrim in the Garden of Vices' (Victoria & Albert Museum) and the 'Heart of the Rose'. Finally he illustrated the story for the Kelmscott Chaucer.