Andrew Davidson (1841-1925) was born into a weaver's family in Inverness. Like his elder brother Donald (1830-1905), who was named after their father, he became a stonemason. Together the brothers formed the well-known Scottish company of D. and A. Davidson, based in Academy Street, Inverness. But although they were much in demand as monumental masons, Andrew was ambitious. Partly because he aspired to refine his art, and partly for the sake of his health, he spent a good deal of his time in Rome. In fact, the listing text for the Mercat Cross, for which he provided the finial sculpture of a unicorn, describes him as "sculptor, Andrew Davidson Rome." Probably his best-known and certainly his most prominent work is his monument to Flora Macdonald outside Inverness Castle. — Jacqueline Banerjee
- Statue of Flora Macdonald, Inverness
- The pulpit of Inverness Cathedral
- Bust of Bishop Robert Eden of Inverness
- Unicorn on the Mercat Cross, Inverness
"2. Inverness City." www.clandavidson.org.uk. Web. 19 December 2017.
Gifford, John. Highland and Islands. The Buildings of Scotland. London: Penguin, 1992.
"Inverness, Ardross Street, Cathedral Church of St Andrew." British Listed Buildings. Web. 19 December 2017.
"Inverness High Street, Market Cross, Inverness." British Listed Buildings. Web. 19 December 2017.
"A Tour of the Cathedral." United Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness. Web. 19 December 2017.
19 December 2017