George Anderson Lawson (1832-1904)
Bronze, rich brown patination
38 1/8 inches (97 cm.)
Signed Geo. A. Lawson, dated 1891, and inscribed J.Moore, Founder.
The Burns Memorial at Ayr is considered to be one of the finest depictions of Scotland's national poet. Standing firmly on his left leg, his face is chiselled with a meditative expression. The statue is placed with Burns gazing reflectively toward the place of his birth, Alloway, a few miles distant. The bronze is a colossal size and is set on a pedestal of Aberdeen granite. The statue, cast by Moore and sons, was unveiled by Sir Archibald Campbell (Lord Blythswood), Grand Master Mason of Scotland, on July 8th, 1891. Bronze panels depicting scenes from Burns' life have since been added to the pedestal. Lawson's memorial was also applauded on a national scale to the extent that replicas were erected in Melbourne on the 23rd January 1904, Detroit on the 23rd July 1921, Vancouver on the 25th August 1928, Montreal on the 18th October 1930, and Winnipeg in 1936. [Continued below]
Robert Bowman has most generously given permission to use in the Victorian Web information, images, and text from his catalogues. The copyright on text and images from these catalogues remains, of course, with him. Readers should consult the website of the Robert Bowman Gallery to obtain information about recent exhibitions and to order catalogues. [GPL]