Frieze with Perseus and Angels (central panel): An angel holding an orb flanked by women with fruits of the earth. by Alfred Turner RA (1874-1940). 1906. Portland stone. Dimensions: frieze 2m high; side panels 1.9m wide; central panel 3m wide. The Recessed Centre Bay of the Main Front, The Old Bailey, London.
Right panel: Angel with sword defending mother with infant and young child. Left panel: Perseus holding the head of Medusa with a woman (Andromeda) holding his shield.
[Click on these images for larger pictures.] Photographs and caption by Robert Freidus. Formatting and additional text by George P. Landow. You may use this image without prior permission for any scholarly or educational purpose as long as you (1) credit the photographer and (2) link your document to this URL in a web document or cite the Victorian Web in a print one.]
- Edward William Mountford 's Old Bailey
- Pomeroy's gilded Justice with sword and balance scale
- Pomeroy's Fortitude, the Recording Angel, and Truth
- Pomeroy's Allegorical Figure with quill and closed book
- Pomeroy's Allegorical Figure with sword and open book
“Alfred Turner RA.” Mapping the Practice and Profession of Sculpture in Britain and Ireland 1851-1951.
Last modified 8 July 2011