Mr. James Piers St. Aubyn, F.R.I.B.A., whose photograph comes first on the sheet [shown on the left here, following p. 190], was elected an Associate of the Institute in 1837 and a Fellow in 1856. His chief work in London was the restoration of the Temple Church, including his additions to that building. A large block of chambers in the Temple was erected a few years ago from his designs, and in conjunction with the late Mr. E. M. Barry, R.A., Mr. St. Aubyn built a larger group of similar suites of offices for the Temple authorities, overlooking the Thames Embankment, some time previously. He also erected the four district churches, St. James, St. Mary, St. Stephen, and St. Paul, at Devonport. St. James-the-Less, at Plymouth, is another of his churches, and at Reading he designed All Saints, St. Giles, and St. Luke's. Near Chelmsford two more may be named — at Widford and Galleywood Common — as well as three other churches at New Brompton, Chatham, and at Erith. In Cornwall, where Mr. St. Aubyn restored St. Michael's Mount, he built churches at Marazion, Penzance, and St. Ives. Others, too, have to be mentioned, such as the church at Revelstoke, South Devon; church restoration at Woolverstone, near Ipswich; and the English church at Dresden. In Ireland, Mr. St. Aubyn erected a church at Kilmaloada, Co. Cork, besides numerous other new churches about England, not to name several private chapels and mission-rooms and church restorations in most of the western and home counties. A design prepared for Truro Cathedral by Mr. St. Aubyn was published at the time its erection was contemplated. In Cornwall, among this architect's mansions and houses, we may note Clonance and Pencalenick. Others are at Anstey, near Dorking; Slinfold, near Horsham; Muntham, also in the same locality; as well as Greenhurst, near Ockley, in Surrey; Delamore, South Devon; Curry Rivel, near Taunton; Chalcot, near Westbury. Clanville, Minehead, Somerset, he built, and many less-important residences in Cornwall and other counties. The Theological College and new church at Ely are among Mr. St. Aubyn's works, and many restorations in that diocese. The Carillon Tower for twenty bells, at Abberley, and large additions to Abberley Hall, Stourport, were carried out from his plans, besides numerous parsonage houses in other parts. Mr. St. Aubyn has read practical papers before the professional societies at various times. — "Contemporary British Architects," 186
- St Materiana Church, Tintagel (restoration),
- St Michael's Mount, Cornwall (remodelling and extension)
- Temple Church (1860-64 restoration, when a conical roof was added)
"Contemporary British Architects." Building News and Engineering Jourtal. Vol. 58 (31 January 1890): 186-87 (portrait following p. 190). Contributed by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Internet Archive. Contributed by the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. Web. 5 January 2021.
Created 5 January 2021