The Welsh sculptor, draughtsman, and teacher “studied at the Bristol School of Art, the South Kensington Training Schools, London (1872–75), and attended the École des Beaux-Arts, Paris (1881–84), where he directly carved the Slave Girl (c. 1884), now in the National Museum in Cardiff With his friends George Clausen, H. H. La Thangue, and the photographer P. H. Emerson he became a founder-members of the New English Art Club. He lived and worked in Italy between 1889 and 1906. Upon his return to England, “he lectured at the Slade School of Fine Art, London, from 1911 and in 1914 became the first Professor of Sculpture” (Invaluable.com).

Works Illustrated on this Site

Works Without Illustrations on this Site

Bibliography

Getsy, David J. Body Doubles: Sculpture in Britain, 1877-1905. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2004.

'James Havard Thomas RWA', Mapping the Practice and Profession of Sculpture in Britain and Ireland 1851-1951, University of Glasgow History of Art and HATII, online database 2011.

Steggles, Mary Ann. Statues of the Raj. Putney, London: BACSA [British Association for Cemeteries in South Asia], 2000. Page 43.


Last modified 24 February 2020