Born in London, son of sculptors Thomas and Mary Thornycroft. Entered R.A. Schools in 1869 while working with his father. Greatly admired the Elgin Marbles. Visited Italy in 1871. Exhibited at R.A. from 1872; in 1875 won gold medal with Warrior Bearing Wounded Youth from the Field of Battle acquired” by the Art Union of London. "Artemis" commissioned by the Duke of Westminster for Eaton Hall, 1879.
From 1882-1914 taught at R.A. Schools and received many public commissions including memorial to Gladstone, Strand; General Charles Gordon; and Oliver Cromwell, Westminster. Also executed a frieze for Institute of Chartered Accountants building, London. R.B.S. Gold Medal, 1923; joint memorial exhibition with F. Derwent Wood at R.A. 1927. A.R.A. 1881, R.A. 1888, Knighted 1917. [British Sculpture 1850-1914, p. 35.]
Monuments and Portraits
- John Bright
- General Charles Gordon Memorial
- James I
- Charles I
- Sir Daniel Dixon
- William George Armstrong
- Alfred the Great (Monument in Winchester)
- Alfred the Great (16-inch version)
- W. E. Gladstone Memorial
- William Ewart Gladstone, Glasgow
- Monument to Bishop Harvey Goodwin
- Sir John Goss
- John Ella
- (Former) Curzon Memorial
- Richard Norman Shaw
- Queen Victoria (Ayodhya, India)
- Queen Victoria (Lucknow, India)
- Monument to Archbishop Thompson
- A Lioning Cat (Corky)
- South African War Memorial (Manchester)
- Joan Thornycroft
- William Owen Stanley
Literary, Mythological, Allegorical
- Maquette for Teucer
- Joy of Life
- Girl with mirror
- The Kiss
- The Bather
- The Mower (Robert Bowman)
- The Mower (Harris Museum)
- The Stone Thrower
- Warrior bearing a Wounded Youth from Battle
- Warrior bearing a Wounded Youth from Battle (another cast)
- Gray's Elegy
- The Sower
- Winged Assyrian Sphinx.
- Lot’s Wife
- 129th Baluchis
Architectural Sculpture: Freizes for the Institute of Chartered Accounts building
- Justice and Accountancy
- Female figure near main entrance]
- Sculpture above main entrance
- Building professions and trades
- Open Championship Horticultural Prize
- Open Championship Agricultural Prize
- Toogood Seedsmen Open Championship Horticulture Prize
- Joan Thornycroft (cloak clasp)
Beattie, Susan. The New Sculpture. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1983.
Bowman, Robert. Craft and Creation — 2005. London: Robert Bowman Gallery, 2005.
Bowman, Robert. Sir Alfred Gilbert and the New Sculpture. London: The Fine Art Society, 2008.
British Sculpture 1850-1914. A loan exhibition of sculpture and medals sponsored by The Victorian Society. London: Fine Art Society, 1968.
Getsy, David. Body Doubles: Sculpture in Britain, 1877-1905. New Haven: Yale University Press, 2004. [Review” by George P. Landow]
Gibson to Gilbert: British Sculpture 1840-1914. Exhibition catalogue. London: The Fine Art Society, 1992.
McKenzie, Ray, with contributions” by Gary Nisbet. Public Sculpture of Glasgow. Liverpool: Liverpool University Press, 2002.
Manning, Elfrida. Marble & Bronze, the Art and Life of Hamo Thornycroft. London : Trefoil Books, 1982.
Nahum, Peter, and Sally Burgess. Pre-Raphaelite-Symbolist-Visionary. London: Peter Nahum at Leicester Galleries.
Read, Benedict. Victorian Sculpture. New Haven: Yale University Press, 1982. Pages 382-86, Plates. 472-474.
Last modified 19 April 2018